Friday, February 12, 2010

Duet Acting.

The passage I choose is when superstitious Caesar awake and frightened and just asked his servant to go the priests and sacrifice an animal. Calpurnia enters and begs him to stay at home because she had a dream about her husband which was an omen and according to Calpurnia it wasn't a good one. Convinced, Caesar decides to stay at home, however cunning Decius comes and enters the picture, and convinces that Calpurnia's dream is actually a good omen. I found that this passage was important because it was the one chance Caesar had right under his nose that something wrong was going to happen to the capitol and he could decline going there. However, he is gullible enough to fall for Decius' trap. I also think that Shakespeare put this part in the play for the audience, for foreshadowing what is going to happen soon in either the next act or scene. This passage shows not only foreshadowing but also Dramatic Irony because the audience finds it pretty obvious that Caesar is going to die however the main character Caesar doesn't realize that he is going to be killed.

Act 2 scene 2
lines 7-105 (some of them)

(Calpurnia enters)
Calpurnia- What mean you Caesar? Think you walk forth? You shall not stir out of your house today.
Caesar- Caesar shall forth. The things that threatened me never looked but on my back; when they shall see the face of Caesar, they’re vanished.
Calpurnia- Caesar, I never stood on ceremonies
Yet now they fright me. There is one within,
Besides the tings that we have heard and seen, Recounts most horrid sights seen by the watch,
A lioness hath whelped in the streets
And graves here yawned and yielded up their dead;
Fierce fiery warriors fight upon the clouds
In ranks and squadrons and form of war
Which drizzled blood upon the capitol.

Caesar- The gods do this in shame of cowardice:
Caesar should be a beast without a heart
If he should stay at home today for fear
No, Caesar shall not. Danger knows well
That Caesar is more dangerous than he.
We are two lions litter’d in one day,
And I the elder and more terrible,
And Caesar should go forth.

Calpurnia: Alas my lord,
Your wisdom is consum’d in confidence.
Do not go forth today: call it my fear
That keeps you in the house, and not your own.
We’ll send Mark Antony to the Senate House,
And he shall say you are not well today.
Let me upon my knee prevail in this.
Caesar: Mark Antony shall say I am not well,
And for thy humour
I will stay at home.
(Calpurnia leaves)

Decius: Caesar, all hail! Good morrow, worthy Caesar.
I come to fetch you to the Senate House.

Caesar: And you are come in very happy time
To bear my greeting to the senators,
And tell them I will not come today:
Can not is false; and I dare not, falser;
I will not come today. Tell them so, Decius

Decius: Most mighty Caesar, let me know some cause,
Lest i be laugh'd at when i tell them so.

Caesar:......Because i love you, I will let you know;
Calpurnia here, my wife, stays me at home.
She dreamt tonight she saw my statue,
Which like a fountain with a hundred spouts
Did run pure blood;and many lusty Romans
Came smiling,and did bathe their hands into it.
And these does she apply for warnings and portents
And evils imminent; and on her knees
Hath begg'd that i will stay at home today.

Decius: This dream is all amiss interpreted
It was a vision fair and fortunate:
Your statue spouting blood in many pipes,
in which so many smiling Romans bath'd,
Reviving blood, and that great men shall press
For tinctures, stains, relics, and cognizance.

Caesar: And this way have you well expounded it.

Decius:......And know it know. The Senate have concluded
To give this day a crown to a mighty Caesar.
If you shall send them word you will not come,
Their mind may change. Besides, it were a mock
apt to be render'd for some one to say
'Break up with the Senate till another time,
When Caesar's wife shall meet with better dreams.
If Caesar hid himself, shall they not whisper,
'Lo Caesar is afraid?'
Pardon me, Caesar; for my dear dear love
To your proceedings bids me tell you this,
And reason to my love is liable.

Caesar: How foolish do your fears seem now, Calpurnia!
I am ashamed I did yield to them
Give me my robe, for I will go.

My partner is Vandana for this act.

No comments:

Post a Comment